3.16.2013

My "WE'RE DEBT FREE!" Scream!

When we first got married we sat down and looked at our student loans and probably thought... okay we'll pay them off month by month for the rest of our lives.  Doom and gloom.

About 15 months ago we attended the Dave Ramsey "Financial Peace University" that was being offered at the base.  I love Dave... he is totally blunt, slightly insensitive, completely hilarious, and speaks financial truth into thousands of lives.  Some people probably hate him, but I love him.  He totally opened our eyes to financial freedom and I will be forever thankful for that.

During our class Dave taught us about getting Gazelle Intense about becoming debt free.  This really stuck with me and here is the only video I could find on it.  He uses the example of a gazelle as a person and a cheetah as debt.  I love how fired up he gets.


I love how he says "you can wander into to debt, but you can't wander out.... you need to run like your life depends on it."  So, we made some adjustments, cut our expenses, took on a second job, delayed buying a house and threw loads of money into or loans every month for 15 months and i'm happy to FINALLY be able to do our Dave Ramsey scream (since I know It's unlikely i'll get on his radio show).... WE'RE 100% DEBT FREE!

Our goal... to never have debt again (except a morgage).  To be able to give freely, invest wisely and save up for that nice (never, ever new) shiny car.  And hopefully to be a stay at home mom one day without all of those bills!  (And no, i'm not pregnant... just checking if you read down this far)


"This is not a game, ... Debt has become a part of who we are. It's become that spoiled child in the grocery store with their lip stuck out: 'I want it. I want it. I deserve it because I breathe air.' And, well, that's an uphill climb in our culture right now, to go against that and say, 'Hey, let's be grownups here. Let's be mature, learn to delay pleasure, save up and pay for things.'"

Thank you Dave!

1 comment:

Jonas said...

you are my hero, can't wait to share the same scream